Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

If a divorce and child custody decree was filed in Georgia (then children are moved out of state), does a change/amendment to physical and legal custody need to be filed in Georgia or in state where child is now a resident(Kansas)?

Asked on 10/14/13, 5:13 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Robert Gardner Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Depending on how long ago the children moved, Georgia may very well be the proper venue for a modification based on change of circumstances. See an attorney and give them the details. If the move was recent. filing here could give you a good shot to have them returned.

Read more
Answered on 10/15/13, 10:45 am
Tahira Piraino Tahira P. Piraino
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If it is a recent move, you may be able to file in Georgia. A move is a change of circumstances which can affect custody, parenting schedule and child support. You need to immediately speak with a family law attorney.

Read more
Answered on 10/15/13, 10:52 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now