Georgia  |  Family Law

My ex-husband and I got divorced in May of 2010. We agreed at the time to split joint/legal custody of our 2 kids 50/50. We also decided not to ask for child support b/c we made the same amount of money, within a few thousand dollars. My ex-husband now makes 40%+ more than I do. Can I go back at this point and ask for some sort of child support?

Answered on: 9/21/12, 10:38 am by Stephen Worrall

Child support can be modified in Georgia if there is a substantial change in the income or financial status of either parent or in the needs of the child. An increase of 40% would be considered a substantial change so I believe you would be entitled to seek an increase in child support.

GeorgiaFamilyLaw.com : Worrall Law LLC 109 Anderson Street Suite 100 Marietta, GA 30060-8610

Answered on: 9/21/12, 11:33 am by Glen Ashman

That would certainly be a susbtantial change that might justify a change in support. See a local attorney to assist.

Ashman Law Office 2791 Main Street EAST POINT Atlanta, GA 30344