Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

If a father was never married to the child's mother

Could the mother be entitled to past child support? What if the father can't pay the amount? I am currently married and I have a son by my wife will the judge take into consideration of my other children or support obligations? I would like to take custody of my daughter from her mother. There are records of violence and drug use. I want how I approach the judge with wanting custody.

Asked on 2/11/05, 3:24 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Charles W. Field Charles W. Field, Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: If a father was never married to the child's mother

You will probably need to file a Petition to Modify child support. However, it is impossible to give you more advice without knowing more about the situation. You should consult with a local attorney. If you are in my area, please free to call.

Read more
Answered on 2/11/05, 3:49 pm
Glenn M. Lyon, Esq. MacGREGOR LYON, LLC, Business Attorneys
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: If a father was never married to the child's mother

Everything will be taken into consideration in determining support. A parent can be obligated to pay back support, depending on the situation. You need to request the court to grant you custody either by seeking to modify the original order or by a legitimation action.

If you would like to discuss any issues further, please feel free to contact my office. My contact information is below. Thank you.

The foregoing is general information only, not specific legal advice. No attorney/client relation has been created or should be implied.

Glenn M. Lyon, Esq

MacGregor Lyon, LLC

Promenade II

1230 Peachtree Street NE

Suite 1900

Atlanta Georgia 30309

Phone 404.942.3545

Fax 404.795.0993

[email protected]

Confidentiality Notice

This message is being sent by or on behalf of a lawyer. It is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is proprietary, privileged or confidential or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not the named addressee, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete all copies of the message.

Read more
Answered on 2/11/05, 3:54 pm
Tahira Piraino Tahira P. Piraino
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: If a father was never married to the child's mother

If you have never legitimated the child, you have no custodidal rights. You must first legitimate and then file for custody. I would need more information before addressing the back child support issue. I urge you to contact an attorney to further discuss your options.

Read more
Answered on 2/11/05, 4:20 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88693 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Craig EpifanioCraig Epifanio, P.A.St Petersburg, FL
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now