Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

I need to find out what I need to do to get guardianship or custody of my grandson from his mother.

Asked on 9/08/13, 10:38 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Gardner Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Guardianship is granted through the local probate court, and is usually a situation where the parents agree to do so, and can often be done without a lawyer by filling out the forms in probate court and following the instructions. If a parent changes their mind later, guardianship is reversed fairly easily. Custody is a more permanent result, and will entail child support as well. This will require a lawyer, and is much more difficult to obtain without the parent's consent. If custody is granted to you, it can only be reversed by the showing of a change in circumstances.

The answer to this questions is informational only, and it is not intended to be legal advise. Only an attorney who has met with you and gone over all of the specific facts of your case can give you legal advice upon which you should rely. Follow up questions are welcome via the email below, and our firm offers free consultations via phone or in person. We have convenient offices in Winder, Jefferson, and Gainesville Georgia, and you should feel free to contact our office at (770) 307-4899, via email at [email protected], or through our website:

Read more
Answered on 9/09/13, 7:16 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now