Georgia  |  Family Law

What forms and/or documents are needed to file for child custody of my son? I am the father and my son is legitimized. We have no prior custody arrangements as its all been by agreement for the past few years and were never married. His mother lives in Henry County and I can't seem to find what is needed to file for child custody.

Answered on: 6/06/13, 5:03 am by Scott Riddle

"Forms and/or documents?" The care and custody of children is not a matter for "forms." To be blunt, if it is important you would want to hire a good lawyer to represent you to have the best chance of showing the judge you deserve custody. If you just file forms, you are probably wasting time and sending a message to the judge that it is not too important.

Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC Suite 1530 Tower Place, 3340 Peachtree Road Atlanta, GA 30326

Answered on: 6/06/13, 5:59 am by Glen Ashman

You do NOT seek custody with "forms." And while a few metro Atlanta courts (Fulton, etc) have forms online, which you could have found in about two minutes by visiting the local courts websites, a form does not testify in court, do discovery, get a guardian ad litem, etc. If this matters to you, you need a lawyer, ESPECIALLY in a county like Henry that it is very unfriendly to pro se litigants.

Ashman Law Office 2791 Main Street EAST POINT Atlanta, GA 30344