Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

My friend and her partner have asked me to be their donor. We all agreed it should be done via natural insemination. Is their anything we all need to sign pre-conception, during pregnancy or post birth to remove all parental liability from me and give them both sole parental rights of this child?

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

Frankly this is an awful idea. Legally, when you have sex in Georgia, YOU are the father and will be liable for 18 years of child support. NOTHING that you sign pre-conception or during pregnancy will change that.

Post-birth, if they are legally married, they can jointly adopt the child from you and that would sever your obligations only AFTER it is granted. (If they are not married, then only one of them can adopt). Note there are MANY hitches to this and it is NOT automatic.

Everyone needs to sit down with a lawyer and it probably will be something you need to avoid.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia