Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

My friend shares joint custody of her son with the father. The father lives in Georgia and the mother and son live in Mississippi. If the father signed over his parental rights, would he still have to pay child support being that he lives in a different state than his son?

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

Unless someone else is adopting the child, there is no such thing as signing over parental rights to avoid paying support. The right to be supported belongs to the child and cannot be transferred from a father to taxpayers by a deadbeat dad.

Tahira Piraino Tahira P. Piraino

In Georgia, both parents are required to provide support for their children. I agree with Mr. Ashman, unless the mother has remarried and her husband wants to adopt or you are both signing over your rights for an adoption, you cannot sign over your rights to avoid child support. Maybe Mississippi is different, which I seriously doubt, but not here in Georgia.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia