Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

GA Divorce of California resident

I am a Georgia resident for over 1 year, my estranged husband still resides in California. I am the primary caretaker of our minor child. We were married less than a year, and have now been separated almost 2 years. I now have a home in Georgia that I purchased after the separation, and used funds from the sale of a home that I purchased prior to our marriage. None of the bills or documents are listed with my husband's name. Is this property in jeopardy of being distributed "equitably"? Also, can I file all motions, etc here in Georgia without his assistance?

Glenn Loewenthal Glenn Loewenthal, P.C.

Re: GA Divorce of California resident

Your property here in Georgia is most likely safe. I am not sure what you mean by motions, but if you are considering filing a complaint for divorce, you may be able to accomplish that here, but you will not be able to have the court consider issues of property division, alimony, child custody/support unless he waives jurisdiction. Feel free to call if you wish to discuss further.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia