Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

GA Divorce of California resident

I am a Georgia resident for over 1 year, my estranged husband still resides in California. I am the primary caretaker of our minor child. We were married less than a year, and have now been separated almost 2 years. I now have a home in Georgia that I purchased after the separation, and used funds from the sale of a home that I purchased prior to our marriage. None of the bills or documents are listed with my husband's name. Is this property in jeopardy of being distributed "equitably"? Also, can I file all motions, etc here in Georgia without his assistance?

Asked on 8/30/00, 2:53 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Glenn Loewenthal Glenn Loewenthal, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: GA Divorce of California resident

Your property here in Georgia is most likely safe. I am not sure what you mean by motions, but if you are considering filing a complaint for divorce, you may be able to accomplish that here, but you will not be able to have the court consider issues of property division, alimony, child custody/support unless he waives jurisdiction. Feel free to call if you wish to discuss further.

Read more
Answered on 10/03/00, 6:22 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now