Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

Jail Sentence for Contempt

In a court order from 2 years ago in Gwinnett County Superior Court, the plaintiff was found in contempt for violating terms of the original divorce decree. He was sentenced to seven weekends in jail. He never appeared at the jail to serve the ordered weekends, and the court never issued an order for incarceration. The time was never served. The case is now formally closed. How do I, the defendent, bring this situation to the Court's attention, and get them to enforce their original order?

Charles W. Field Charles W. Field, Attorney at Law

Re: Jail Sentence for Contempt

I think I need more facts. Just because the case is "closed" doesn't necessarily mean that the court can't still enforce its order. If you would like to discuss this, please feel free to give me a call. I am in Lawrenceville.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia