Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

Jail Sentence for Contempt

In a court order from 2 years ago in Gwinnett County Superior Court, the plaintiff was found in contempt for violating terms of the original divorce decree. He was sentenced to seven weekends in jail. He never appeared at the jail to serve the ordered weekends, and the court never issued an order for incarceration. The time was never served. The case is now formally closed. How do I, the defendent, bring this situation to the Court's attention, and get them to enforce their original order?

Asked on 2/11/05, 2:45 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Charles W. Field Charles W. Field, Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Jail Sentence for Contempt

I think I need more facts. Just because the case is "closed" doesn't necessarily mean that the court can't still enforce its order. If you would like to discuss this, please feel free to give me a call. I am in Lawrenceville.

Read more
Answered on 2/11/05, 3:02 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now