Georgia  |  Family Law

legal separation

I would like to know what the next step would be once my husband and I have filled and our downloaded separation papers. We live in the state of Ga. Notarized I'm sure but then do we file it with the courts or what??

Answered on: 9/01/08, 7:07 pm by Charles W. Field

Re: legal separation

No offense intended, but you may be getting in way over your head on something that depends on all the I's being dotted and the T's crossed. Consult with a local attorney.

Charles W. Field, Attorney at Law 911 Duluth Hwy., Ste. D-3211 Lawrenceville (north Atlanta), GA 30043

Answered on: 8/30/08, 12:45 pm by Scott Riddle

Re: legal separation

The next step is to get a qualified lawyer, and not waste time on meaningless "separation papers." Even if you had the appropriate forms (for whatever it is you are trying to accomplish), you would not know the proper steps.

Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC Suite 1530 Tower Place, 3340 Peachtree Road Atlanta, GA 30326

Answered on: 8/30/08, 1:01 pm by Glen Ashman

Re: legal separation

Start by throwing them out. There is no such thing in Georgia as "legal separation papers." In Georgia you either get a divorce, or, in what usually is an ill-advised expensive move, do an intermediate step called separate maintenance, which is a suit seeking alimony and child support.

You need to sit down with a lawyer and determine what steps need to be done and then do those steps properly. You will not find the answer downloading useless forms online.

Ashman Law Office 2791 Main Street EAST POINT Atlanta, GA 30344