Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

I lied about my husband pushing me and filed a report, he was arrested and there was a hearing where the judge knew I made a false report, we have another hearing in a month and he was released on bond. I do not want to go to jail for overreacting to my situation and calling the police. What should I do?

Robert Gardner Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP

You need to be very careful about what you say in court. As you could be prosecuted for making false statements to law enforcement, saying something untrue in court could have you facing perjury charges as well. At this point, you and your husband need separate lawyers to represent each of you and find a way to get you both out of this mess without either being convicted of anything. Prosecutors rarely prosecute wives for changing their stories in cases like this, but it can happen if you push this too far, and with another court date coming up, there is more of a chance to force their hand.

The answer to this questions is informational only, and it is not intended to be legal advise. Only an attorney who has met with you and gone over all of the specific facts of your case can give you legal advice upon which you should rely. Follow up questions are welcome via the email below, and our firm offers free consultations via phone or in person. We have convenient offices in Winder, Jefferson, and Gainesville Georgia, and you should feel free to contact our office at (770) 307-4899, via email at [email protected], or through our website: hicksmasseyandgardner.com.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia