Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

I am married can I leave the marital home or is it abandonment?

Asked on 6/24/13, 2:06 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Robert Gardner Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Probably not, so long as the other parent is still there to take care of children, although there may be some circumstances where a charge of child abandonment could be brought depending on the ability of the other party to care for them. If you mean abandonment of the marriage or the spouse, there is no criminal charge for that. If you are asking whether leaving the house is an abandonment of your claims in the event of a divorce, that is not the case either, although in some circumstances is can hurt you. Seek the advice of an attorney before you do anything so that you can get clear responses to your specific situation.

Read more
Answered on 6/24/13, 3:00 pm
Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

People leave homes all the time. Since it can affect future divorce cases and claims, you should talk to a lawyer before you move.

Read more
Answered on 6/24/13, 5:36 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now