Georgia  |  Family Law

I am married to my 2nd husband. I have an adult daughter (20) she is in college. My husband just switched jobs and they are asked that he have either legal guardianship or adoption of my daughter in order to add her to insurance. she does not want to be adopted can we utilize the legal guardianship. she does not have any mental issues etc can we utilize the legal guardian ship and if so how and what would it entail?

thank u. We live in Georgia but she lives and goes to school in Florida

Answered on: 7/17/13, 10:27 am by Glen Ashman

Check more with the insurer as they are likely confused. Your marriage to your husband, with most insurers, is enough. A guardianship of an adult is not likely to be possible, as that implies a lack of legal capacity on your daughter's part. Georgia does allow adult adoptions, but frankly, check with the insurer as I think they are likely violating their own rules.

Ashman Law Office 2791 Main Street EAST POINT Atlanta, GA 30344

Answered on: 7/17/13, 3:34 pm by Tahira Piraino

I am not sure why the insurance company would not include a stepchild as a dependent for purposes of coverage. It is done all the time. I would request obtaining a copy of the policy to see why your daughter is being denied. If you are not sure, I would suggest having the policy reviewed by an attorney.

Tahira P. Piraino 3774 LaVista Road, Suite 101 Tucker, GA 30084