Georgia  |  Family Law

I am the mother living in Georgia with an 18 year old son who is currently in the 11th grade. He has one more year of school until he graduates. I have had custody of my son all his life. He is wanting to leave home and go to leave with his biological father. His biological father has agreed to let him come stay with him but I feel he needs to stay in the home where he is now until he finishes school. So my question is do I have any legal grounds to keep him in school where he is now or because of his age is there nothing I can do?

Answered on: 5/21/13, 8:57 pm by Glen Ashman

He's 18 and can come and go, or move, or leave school, as he pleases. Hopefully he'll realize he's virtually unemployable for life without finishing high school (and probably college) but you can no longer make him finish.

Ashman Law Office 2791 Main Street EAST POINT Atlanta, GA 30344

Answered on: 5/24/13, 7:42 am by Tahira Piraino

In Georgia, your son is considered an adult as of the date he reached 18. Unfortunately he can live wherever and with whomever he wants. Hopefully his father will be diligent about school and other issues.

Tahira P. Piraino 3774 LaVista Road, Suite 101 Tucker, GA 30084