Georgia  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 5/14/13, 5:04 am

Can a party in a Georgia case avoid a hearing by declaring residency and jurisdiction in another state after being served?

One of the parties in my case has been declaring GA as the legal residence for seven years (even though they lived in other states) due to student status and that they intended to return after graduation from school. The party was served in April/2012 a new complaint. In May the opposing lawyer filed a dismissal based on lack of jurisdiction. The party then changed drivers license, auto tags, etc. to a different state after the dismissal was filed by their lawyer was filed to avoid the hearing.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

130 Answers given in the last few hours.

8627 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search