Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

I pay child support and carry health,dental, and vision insurance as ordered by the judge in Ga. My ex says he/ she does not have to use it. Can he be held in contempt and possibly have to pay me back?

Robert Gardner Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP

So long as you are doing what you are supposed to do, you are following the Judge's order. Unless the order states otherwise, your ex does not have to use the insurance. However, if there is a provision which states that any uncovered medical, dental, etc. shall be split between you, and his failure to use the insurance is creating a balance, you may have a basis to refuse to pay that balance. One other alternative would be to file a modification and remove the coverage provision to save you some money. Just be aware of the ramifications of this for uncovered expenses.

The answer to this questions is informational only, and it is not intended to be legal advise. Only an attorney who has met with you and gone over all of the specific facts of your case can give you legal advice upon which you should rely. Follow up questions are welcome via the email below, and our firm offers free consultations via phone or in person. We have convenient offices in Winder, Jefferson, and Gainesville Georgia, and you should feel free to contact our office at (770) 307-4899, via email at hmgrmg@yahoo.com, or through our website: hicksmasseyandgardner.com.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia