Georgia  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 11/07/13, 7:22 am

I have relocated to another county in the same state due to spouse's job transfer. Can you transfer children to another school if you have joint custody with the other parent. I am primary custodial parent, the children are with me during school term with other parent having three weekends/month visitation and I have tie breaking authority.

2 Answers

Answered on: 11/07/13, 7:43 am by Glen Ashman

Possibly, depending on the exact language of your parenting plan, which you chose not to share here. Call your lawyer if your parenting plan is unclear in this area.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Ashman Law Office 2791 Main Street EAST POINT Atlanta, GA 30344

Other answers from this attorney

Answered on: 11/07/13, 10:12 am by Paula McGill

This should have been resolved before you moved to confirm everything went without a hitch.

If your children are in public school and you no longer qualify to be in the old school district, you have may no other choice but to register them in the school that is in your new district. The easiest thing to do is to e-mail the father, tell him this is the school that is in your district, and ask him to come to the school to register the children. If he says he doesn't have the time, just do it. You should be covered from future problems. Just send him all the documents with the information so he knows about the school and he can obtain about his children.

Most parenting plans don't have instructions for every little thing. However, if you have joint legal custody, you have to discuss things like school with the other parent and try to work together.

Again, check with your attorney, if you had one if it isn't obvious from the parenting plan.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Attorney at Law 1100 Peachtree Street, NE, Suite 200 Atlanta, GA 30309

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

125 Answers given in the last few hours.

8663 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search