Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

How can I retire?

Ex had an affair five years ago, filed for divorce. Settlement included child support at my current salary for three children. Ex is 13 years younger than I and has approximate annual salary of $100K. Two of the children are past 18 and no longer subject to child support, but youngest daughter is 13.

I am turning 60 this year and would like to retire. As such my annual income would decrease significantly and I would like to file for a support modification. As I understand the court will not consider a modification request if the decrease in income was the result of ‘voluntary’ action.

Is there any way that I can make the case that I provided sole support for the family for 20 years, and that I now should be allowed a support modification based on my lowered retirement income?

Asked on 4/09/13, 7:54 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Sparticus Heyward The Law Office of Sparticus Heyward, PC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Has the child support been modified since the 2 children turned 18? If not, you would be elgible for a reduction on that fact alone, in addition, you may still be able to reduce it because of a reduction of income via retirement. Please give me a call for a free consultation.

Read more
Answered on 4/09/13, 8:03 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now