Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

How can I retire?

Ex had an affair five years ago, filed for divorce. Settlement included child support at my current salary for three children. Ex is 13 years younger than I and has approximate annual salary of $100K. Two of the children are past 18 and no longer subject to child support, but youngest daughter is 13.

I am turning 60 this year and would like to retire. As such my annual income would decrease significantly and I would like to file for a support modification. As I understand the court will not consider a modification request if the decrease in income was the result of ‘voluntary’ action.

Is there any way that I can make the case that I provided sole support for the family for 20 years, and that I now should be allowed a support modification based on my lowered retirement income?

Sparticus Heyward The Law Office of Sparticus Heyward, PC

Has the child support been modified since the 2 children turned 18? If not, you would be elgible for a reduction on that fact alone, in addition, you may still be able to reduce it because of a reduction of income via retirement. Please give me a call for a free consultation.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia