Georgia  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 5/21/13, 9:26 am

My son married a girl from Brazil in 2009 in Georgia. At the time she was applying for her Green Card which she now has. They are now divorcing here in Georgia. She is claiming they also need to get a divorce in Brazil although they never married in Brazil. Does he need to do anything regarding this supposed "Brazilian marriage"? (She brought some paperwork home from Brazilian consulate and had him sign it. His signature was not notarized while he was present, if at all, and there was never any type of marriage ceremony in Brazil. Also, the paperwork was in Portuguese so he could not read it. She never game him a copy of the paperwork.)

1 Answer

Answered on: 5/21/13, 2:48 pm by Glen Ashman

He needs to ask his lawyer in his Georgia divorce, and, if he does not have one, he needs to hire one in the morning. He should not be signing anything without counsel, and it would be even more foolish to sign things he can't read. Make sure he hires a lawyer first thing tommorow.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Ashman Law Office 2791 Main Street EAST POINT Atlanta, GA 30344

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

125 Answers given in the last few hours.

8663 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search