Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

I am a step parent with two grandchildren, my wife has legal custody of one grandchild. In the case of a divorce do I have any right to custody of my grandchild.

Robert Gardner Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP

Not in a divorce case. While custody of children is a part of your divorce, custody of children who are not your children would be handled as a separate matter. If she has sole custody of the one grandchild, you would have to file a separate action to obtain any custodial rights to that child.

The answer to this questions is informational only, and it is not intended to be legal advise. Only an attorney who has met with you and gone over all of the specific facts of your case can give you legal advice upon which you should rely. Follow up questions are welcome via the email below, and our firm offers free consultations via phone or in person. We have convenient offices in Winder, Jefferson, and Gainesville Georgia, and you should feel free to contact our office at (770) 307-4899, via email at hmgrmg@yahoo.com, or through our website: hicksmasseyandgardner.com.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia