Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

My ex wife has stopped paying child support even though our son is a full time high school student. Our son is 18 and our divorce decree says she pays until he is 18 but the state of Georgia says she has to pay until he graduates. After I discussed this with her she still refuses to pay until he graduates in May 2013. Does state law over ride what the divorce decree says? How do I file a complaint with the state to get the last 4 months of support from her?

Asked on 3/13/13, 6:38 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

There is NO such state law. State law allows a support decree to cover the period you ask about but does not require it. If the language just says 18, your ex wife is correct. The longer period is something you should have argued for at the time of the support order.

Read more
Answered on 3/13/13, 6:48 am
Harold Holcombe Harold D. Holcombe, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You need to review the divorce decree; whatever it says goes. But, usually the wording complies with state law if it was done by a competent family lawyer.

Read more
Answered on 3/13/13, 9:51 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now