Georgia  |  Civil Litigation

Grace Period???

The attorney I hired to respond to a lawsuit filed against me in Cobb County State court informed me today that he wont be able to file a response by the due date which is just a couple days away.

He says he "needs a couple of extra days" to enter a proper response to the lawsuit and insists there is a 2-wk grace period for filing even after the 30 days has passed. he offered to pay the additional court cost.

I just want to make sure this is accurate. I default judgement would be devastating to me financially.

My 30 days is up on Aug 6th!

Is there a 2-week grace period!

Answered on: 8/02/13, 4:39 pm by Glen Ashman

Sort of. You are in default after 30 days. A default can be reopened for the next 15 days by filing an answer and paying court costs.

Frankly, unless you waited until today to hire the lawyer, it doesn't take long to file an answer and an answer can be amended, so it's inexcusable that the lawyer can't do an answer in time. Sit on him to make sure he keeps his promise and consider replacing a lawyer that cannot meet deadlines.

Ashman Law Office 2791 Main Street EAST POINT Atlanta, GA 30344

Answered on: 8/03/13, 10:55 am by Robert Thompson

Amen!

J. Robert Thompson Attorney 235 East Ponce de Leon Ave, Ste 170 Decatur, GA 30030