Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Georgia

Received an email and a letter (not certified) from Lonstein Law Firm in New York. Being sued by Zuffa for illegally streaming a UFC fight on July 6, 2013. Responded within the 10 days as stated, according to the legal assistant, "at this level" I am to pay them $7,500 or further legal action will be brought against me. They claim they have "proof", my IP address, and chat logs (which they refuse to give me). So as it stands right now, they want $7500 with just their word that there is proof. I didn't watch anything illegally so I feel proof is due. Is this legal? Should I hire an attorney? I am almost convinced it's a scam, but don't want to end up on the short end of the stick if this is legit. Please help.

Glenn M. Lyon, Esq. MacGREGOR LYON, LLC, Business Attorneys

Asking for compensation for damages is certainly legal, if that is actually the case. Yes, you should definitely hire an attorney, even if you decide to settle with them.

Robert Gardner Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP

This is most likely a scam, and there is a lot of this going around right now. You should take the letter to an attorney and do a little research on the internet, where these types of scams are often discussed. I would normally tell you to do nothing, as responding only makes you look like you have taken the bait, but take the letter to a lawyer and have them look it over.

The answer to this questions is informational only, and it is not intended to be legal advise. Only an attorney who has met with you and gone over all of the specific facts of your case can give you legal advice upon which you should rely. Follow up questions are welcome via the email below, and our firm offers free consultations via phone or in person. We have convenient offices in Winder, Jefferson, and Gainesville Georgia, and you should feel free to contact our office at (770) 307-4899, via email at hmgrmg@yahoo.com, or through our website: hicksmasseyandgardner.com.

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Georgia

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms