Georgia  |  Civil Litigation

I verbally agreed to pay my ex girlfriend's mother back $400 for an abortion since she was 17 at the time. She got the abortion about 20 days before her 18th birthday. But now, I'm having personal financial problems and I cannot pay her back. I told her this, but she's threatning to sue. I did not sign anything at all, only verbally agreed. Can she still sue me and get money?

Answered on: 5/12/10, 7:16 am by Glen Ashman

First the legal answer: Sure, she can sue. Whether she wins depends on the testimony.

Now the practical one: Cut some lawns or clean some gutters over the weekend to raise some money and do the right thing without a suit.

Ashman Law Office 2791 Main Street EAST POINT Atlanta, GA 30344

Answered on: 5/12/10, 7:48 am by Paula McGill

She can sue you.

She will testify that she gave you a loan with a definite due date. You will be under oath and will have to tell the truth. Under most circumstances, verbal contracts are enforceable. The problem is evidence. All too often borrowers swear to tell the truth in court and lie about the loans. Nevertheless, in this electronic age, there are e-mails and texts that reference the loans, and support the lenders' claims.

Attorney at Law 1100 Peachtree Street, NE, Suite 200 Atlanta, GA 30309