Legal Question in Insurance Law in Georgia

Why am I responsible for storage fees while the car was being examined for damage? The body shop stated that they would not release my vehicle until I gave the word, acting as if it was a benefit to me. The insurance company then declared the vehicle as a total loss. I then immediately released the vehicle to the at-fault party's insurance provider. They then sent me a settlement offer of actual cash value minus $300 for storage fees. Why am I responsible for the payment of the storage fees? They also are refusing to pay for any aftermarket parts that are installed on my vehicle. Is any of this truly legal?

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

The insurance company is ripping you off. If you were hurt, you should already have a personal injury attorney. Let him know.

If there were no injuries, let the adjuster know that you are going to file a complaint with the insurance commissioner if they don't behave. The insurer is liable for the storage fees in this situation, and if you had extra accessories on the car is required to pay their fair market value.

More Insurance Law questions and answers in Georgia

Insurance Law Legal Forms