Georgia  |  Insurance Law

Why am I, as a total loss victim of an auto accident, responsible for paying a storage fee during the time my vehicle was in the body shop for examination? I am being charged a storage fee from the at-fault party's insurance company. It is being deducted from the ACV that I am receiving for my title. Why am I responsible for paying this, even though the accident was not my fault? Also, can the body shop come after me for the storage fees if I am the owner of the vehicle and if the insurance company that is deducting the storage fee from my ACV settlement does not pay the body shop? I have tried to ask both insurance companies, mine and the at-fault party's insurance, and both insurance companies state that I must have the storage fees deducted from the actual cash value of my vehicle.

Answered on: 7/24/13, 5:45 pm by Ronald Arthur Lowry

This is contrary to my understanding of Georgia law. Please contact me directly for a more detailed discussion at no charge.

Ronald Arthur Lowry P.O.Box 3005 Marietta, GA 30061

Answered on: 7/25/13, 4:53 am by Scott Riddle

You left out the most important detail - the reason the vehicle is subject to the storage fees, and who is at fault for that.

Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC Suite 1530 Tower Place, 3340 Peachtree Road Atlanta, GA 30326