Georgia  |  Employment Law

My employer lied to me and told me that I was legally an employee, when he put me as 1099. When I confronted him about it and said I was going to quit, he promised me that he would pay the taxes owed if I stayed. This was in June. I agreed to stay.

In August, two months later, I found another job and then quit. Now, during the tax season, my employer is telling me that he won't pay it, because I didn't stay. He insinuated that I had to stay permanently (until he fired me or let me go, or just forever) for him to keep his promise.

My question is, could that be considered a form of slavery? I know of a similar circumstance where a girl was made to pay her employers a lot of money because she didn't stay with them for five years per her contract. The judge considered that slavery. Could this be considered the same sort of thing?