Legal Question in Employment Law in Georgia

I paid $100 for a smartphone at work. It's mine. I was let go at work, the phone was turned off. I went to Verizon to get it turned on it may name. I was told it was still on the companies contract and I couldn't get it in my name. I can't even eBay it or sell it cause no one can use it. I contacted my former company and was told they would release it for $200 or I could wait 2 years. This does not seems fair. I bought the phone. They took it out of my pay! Is there anything I can do? I know it's not a huge deal but it upsets me

Scott Riddle Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC

Any decent smart phone costs several hundred dollars - far more than the $100 you paid. Most likely the company is still paying for the remaining cost through their monthly contract payments (just as individuals do when they have a mandatory contract). If you have a written agreement that says it is your free and clear for $100 you might push the issue. Otherwise, you are likely out of luck unless you want to pay for the remaining cost.

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in Georgia

Labor and Employment Law Legal Forms