Legal Question in Legal Ethics in Georgia

The accountant that prepared my tax return put my checking account and routing numbers on another client's tax return. Who is responsible for making sure that the other client gets his tax return and what can I legally do for the trouble it has caused me? The other client's return was deposited into my account. It was $6,6O8. for Federal and $1,403. for state. I have talked to the accountant and told him that I am willing to give the 6,6O8 back but I would like for him to be responsible for the other 1,403. He said that the other client did not agree to that. I feel that I have been violated by my personal information being given to a complete stranger. I brought to his attention how many people would have withdrawn the money, and split.

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

You can't steal the other person's money. Return it immediately, before you get prosecuted.

Obviously the accountant needs to work to get your refund.

Scott Riddle Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC

It appears as though you believe the accountants mistake (or negligence) is an opportunity for you to profit $1403. If that is what you want to do, I am not sure why you are asking us about it. That is not a legal issue. It is more of a moral issue.

More Legal Ethics & Professional Responsibility questions and answers in Georgia