Legal Question in Legal Ethics in Georgia

Can I file a lawsuit against a repo company for going thru my personal belongings in my car after they have repossessed it?

Scott Riddle Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC

In addition to the other response about how much time and money is it worth to recover the value of cigars kept in your car), the other issue is that if it was repossessed it is not your car.

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

Almost certainly no, and you didn't ask the far more important question. They will sell the car, soon likely sue you for a large deficiency, and then commence garnishing your paycheck and wages. You should already be sitting in a bankruptcy lawyer's office trying to head those consequences off. (You likely do have a right to request they return your personal efffects).

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

Almost certainly no, and you didn't ask the far more important question. They will sell the car, soon likely sue you for a large deficiency, and then commence garnishing your paycheck and wages. You should already be sitting in a bankruptcy lawyer's office trying to head those consequences off. (You likely do have a right to request they return your personal efffects. Proving that someone smoked your cigars, and suing for that would be a ridiculous waste of time and money, and probably impossible).

More Legal Ethics & Professional Responsibility questions and answers in Georgia