Legal Question in Military Law in Georgia

Military law suit

How does a veteren sue the Marine Corp or the federal governemnt for damages to loss of hearing during military training on active duty?

I was told that the contract signed upon enlistment precludes legal action against the government.

I received 0% I would like to upgrade from 0%

Don Wilson

Asked on 8/28/08, 5:12 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Philip Simmons Philip Simmons
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Military law suit

You are precluded from suing the federal government for injuries sustained on active duty. This is known as the Feres doctrine and came from the case US v Feres 340 U.S. 135

Now, you can apply to the VA for a change of status if you can show that your disability is service related. You will need to contact the VA (Veteran's Administration) and apply to them. If they turn you down you can sue to have this reviewed.

Best of luck

Read more
Answered on 8/28/08, 5:18 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Military Law questions and answers in Georgia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now