Georgia  |  Personal Injury

If a minor comes onto your property even tho you've told him and his parents he is not allowed to be over here and have explained to them u have NO liability insurance to cover someone hurt on your property. If for instance your grandson who is visiting u for the summer lets him come over and help him do yard work, if he's injured while here. Are we liable for those injuries? Ie snake bite, cut or injury, nail in foot etc. please I used to be an insurance adjustor and saw many things like this and I have no liability insurance. I need to know how to protect myself.

Answered on: 7/21/13, 10:21 am by Glen Ashman

There is no way to prevent suits. That makes it incredibly foolish not to have insurance.

Ashman Law Office 2791 Main Street EAST POINT Atlanta, GA 30344

Answered on: 7/22/13, 10:26 am by Robert Gardner

Theoretically, even a burglar who is injured on your property could sue you if the condition of the property is likely to cause injury. This is why you have to have insurance, as warnings are not enough. They may not win a suit, but think about how much you would have to spend to defend such a suit if you don't have an insurance company to hire a lawyer and do this for you. To prove my point, google: Katko v. Briney to see how ridiculous things can get.

Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP 53 W. Candler Street Winder, GA 30680

Answered on: 7/22/13, 11:29 am by Ronald Arthur Lowry

The Katco case discussed above was about a "mantrap" set by Briney on his property involving a shotgun that injured Katco. I strongly urge you not to set a mantrap as such could result in civil liability and possible criminal charges against you whatever the jurisdiction. That said, if you want to own real property you really need to insure it.

Ronald Arthur Lowry P.O.Box 3005 Marietta, GA 30061