Legal Question in Personal Injury in Georgia

Our new neighbors started a bonfire and it burned part of our yard and theirs, fireman came on a Sunday and "put it out". After returning from work the following day (Monday) my husbands shop was in a blaze. We were told by the fireman and the fire investigator that the fire on Sunday was not put out as it should have been. Do I pursue this? I have never sued anyone, but I believe the neighbors and the firemen on Sunday are the ones to blame in their negligence. This has been incredibly difficult for my husband. Thank you for any advice that you can give me.

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

You pick up the phone, and call both your homeowner's insurance and your neighbor's, and one or the other will pay your damages. That's why each of you carry insurance. A suit is likely unnecessary.

Scott Riddle Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC

You can also contact your neighbors and see if they will pay. You won't get anywhere trying to make a claim against the fore department (although if you do, your neighbor may also claim it was the department's fault and not pay. Your safest bet is to get immediate payment from the neighbor, or contact your insurer.

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Georgia