Georgia  |  Personal Injury

pro se case-didn't provide interrogatories & copies of documents

My co-worker represented himself in a civil case, because he was hit from behind in by an uninsured motorist. He won the case Jan 2003, and he was awarded judgement approx. $3000. In May 2003, he was notified to appear for deposition, he complied. He also received a motion to provide interrogatories and copies of records pertaining to the case. He did not comply in a timely manner so now he has received a court order to $321 by Friday, February 6, 2004. Does he have any course of action to avoid paying these charges? The accident cost him his job due his lack of transportation, he suffers from his injuries headaches and back problems resulting in three new doctor bills as well as continued blurred vision in one eye. I realize he should have responded accordingly, but he didn't understand nor realize they were requesting him to provide this information since he won the case in 1/2003. He is from Panama and has difficulty understanding sometimes. Is there any course of action hwe can take to avoid this cost? Thanks for your time and consideration. I look forward to any suggestions you can offer.