Georgia  |  Real Estate Law

I hired a contractor to repair my retaining wall. He made it too short and not nice. He said he had finished the job as far as he concerned and I need to pay him the remaining balance immediately, otherwise, he will tear down the wall. I called the police to prevent him to enter my property. The police told me that yes he could tear down my retaining wall without my permission if I did not pay him immediately. Is this right? I can not prevent someone to enter my property after he performed some work.

Answered on: 6/10/13, 9:05 am by Glenn M. Lyon, Esq.

That is not correct. He may have a civil claim against you for the payment, but he cannot physically remove the wall. Whether he has a right to the payment depends on what exactly was agreed to, which is a factual question.

MacGREGOR LYON, LLC, Business Attorneys 1230 Peachtree Street, NE, Suite 3750 Atlanta, GA 30309

Answered on: 6/10/13, 11:03 am by Glen Ashman

The policeman was wrong and should be reported to his chief for illegally practicing law without a license, and getting it wrong. The man can sue you, and can place a lien on your property, and who wins depends on what the court decides, but he can't come on your property without permission.

Ashman Law Office 2791 Main Street EAST POINT Atlanta, GA 30344