Georgia  |  Real Estate Law

My house had a 1st mortgage in my name; a second mortgage in my ex-wife's name. The house was awarded to me in a divorce settlement. This house has been foreclosed - the 1st mortgage discharged in MY chapter 7 bankruptcy. The second mortgage was not included in the chapter 7. The 2nd mortgage holder is coming after my ex-wife for what is owed. An attorney for my ex-wife has told her she cannot include this 2nd mortgage in a chapter 7 bankruptcy she is filing because it is now UNSECURED DEBT.

Please advise?

Answered on: 7/01/13, 5:36 pm by Scott Riddle

I expect something was lost in translation between you and your ex, but what advice are you looking for? If she has a question about her Bankruptcy case, she needs to ask her lawyer.

Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC Suite 1530 Tower Place, 3340 Peachtree Road Atlanta, GA 30326

Answered on: 7/01/13, 5:39 pm by Glen Ashman

It sounds like she needs another lawyer who actually knows bankruptcy law (unless you've left out some unusual detail).

Ashman Law Office 2791 Main Street EAST POINT Atlanta, GA 30344