Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Georgia

Im moving out of my current apartment community and have given them 3 months worth of verbal notice. Everyone in the office knows that were terminating our lease when it ends this month, and I have asked on multiple occasions what, if anything, I needed to provide to them regarding us leaving and everytime the answer has been nothing. Now we're two weeks away from moving out and theyre trying to say that because we never gave them a written notice, they're going to charge us for an additional 60 days worth of rent and that if we don't pay it then they'll report it to a credit agency. Is this legal?!

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

You failed to tell us the only thing that answers the question. What does the lease say? If the lease says "written notice" then "everyone knows" is NOT notice. (Even if oral notice is okay, it is extremely foolish not to give written notice since you have no way to prove it).

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Georgia