Georgia  |  Tax Law

Filing a Fi. Fa. Lien

The Georgia Department of Revenue filed Fi. Fa. Lien affecting my credit rating after verbal assurances they would not do it.

When I was notified of the outstanding tax amount, I filed a protest to have the amount assessed properly. The agent ignored my properly filed protest saying it was 'a stalling tactic'. I contacted taxpayer assistance which informed Ga. Dept. of Rev. that they could not ignore a properly filed protest. The agent then agreed to meet with me to settle the tax amount. I brought the information to the Ga. Dept of Revenue and they adjusted the amount due. I paid the adjusted amount. All the time the Revenue agent was telling me they were not going to file a Fi Fa. lien unless I did not abide with the arrangement. I did abide by our agreement and made payment in a timely and proper fashion and did not think about the issue, which took place in 2005, until recently. I was contacted by a financial institution which informed me that the Ga. Department of Revenue, in spite of the agents word, in fact filed the Fi. Fa. lien anyway. The agent I negotiated with will not return my call. This filing has effected multiple financial transactions and last for 14 years on the credit system. Can a state agency do this?