Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Georgia

transfer car title deceased owner

I would like to know how to transfer a title from a deceased son to his mother or a cousin in the state of Georgia. He died about 18 months ago and the car is still in his name and he had no will.

Asked on 11/17/08, 12:32 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Blazek The Law Office of David K. Blazek
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: transfer car title deceased owner

That's what the probate process is for. When someone dies without a will - a personal representative is appointed by the probate court to administer the decedent's estate. That personal representative is vested with responsibility for paying debts, gathering assets, and delivering the net estate to heirs (as identified in Georgia statutes on intestate succession). The personal representative is issued "Letters of Administration" which authorize them to act on behalf of the estate (e.g., authorize them to go to GA DMV and transfer title, open or close bank accounts, etc.) If the net worth of the decedent was minimal - there are streamlined procedures for low value estates. Talk to a GA licensed attorney.

Read more
Answered on 11/17/08, 1:46 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Georgia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now