Legal Question in Immigration Law in Hawaii

Getting married legally

My finance and I are planning to get married; however, I am not sure if I can get married legally.

My fiance is a u.s. citizen, and he just got divorced with his foreign wife. I am a foreigner and came to the u.s. with a tourist visa to visit him in May lasy year. I stayed in the u.s. for almost 4 months, and returned to my country in the end of August.

After 2 months, I re-entered to the u.s. again with a tourist visa, but I was in trouble when I asked to stay for 6 months. I had been questioned by a border patrol officer. He had searched my luggages. He found out that I lied to him when I told him those luggages were the only two I had. He found the contract I had with a storage store in the u.s. Then he asked me if I intend to get married during this trip. I told him this trip was just for vacation. He warmed me if I ever get married during this trip, I will be sent back to my country for 3 years. Is it ture?

I am still in the u.s. with my visa extended for another 6 months, but soon it will be expired in Oct. Now my fiance wants to marry me. I'd like to know if it's ok for me to get married or I have to apply for fiance visa. I'd appreciate your advice.

Asked on 9/07/03, 7:04 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Myron Morales Lee Lane Smith LLP
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Getting married legally

We should make a FOIA request to find-out how you were admitted. If you were admitted simply as a visitor with no conditions, then you may have some options. Plus, you may still be able to apply for a fiance visa.

[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 9/08/03, 8:16 am
Gabriel Jack Muston & Jack P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Getting married legally

I would say that it wuld depend on who told you these things. If they documented it or not, etc. Was it your intent to get married when you came on this last trip? e-mail or Call me, I will try and help you. 650.743.6296

Read more
Answered on 9/08/03, 12:32 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Hawaii

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now