Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

A woman claims that I am the father of her 18 year old daughter. The name on the birth certificate is another man. Am I legally responsible for any back child support?

Asked on 5/10/11, 5:51 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

David Gotzh Law Office of David Gotzh
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Until the birth certificate is corrected by operation of law, DHS (or any other prosecuting authority) lacks the ability to compel a court to order you to pay support.

Read more
Answered on 5/10/11, 6:02 pm
Elfreda Dockery Law Office of Elfreda Dockery
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

at this time, i do not see you being legally responsible; however, that situation could change depending on what actions the mother takes. if you want to discuss further, contact me at 312-372-5600.

Read more
Answered on 5/11/11, 4:13 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now