Illinois  |  Business Law

Bad business practice

I went to a local musical instrument shop a couple of weeks ago to try and sell an old trumpet of mine. They set up a consignment, which stated that they would display it on their sales floor, I could set the price, and if it sold, I would get 80% of the selling price. I received a call yesterday saying that it had sold, and that my check was in the mail. I got another call today, saying that the buyer had returned the instrument today, but since the check was already in the mail, would I please either return the check or hold onto it until it sold.

Can they do that? Could I cash the check and say, ''Too bad for you.'' What could they do to me legally if I cashed the check? Could they come after me or my bank? I want to do the right thing, but I'm also very upset that they mislead me and that they are handling business this way. It's not right.