Legal Question in Business Law in Illinois

employment probation letters

What are my legal rights as to signing a letter that will be put in my employment file at work? This letter indicates that I will be put on probation for 1 year and will pay financial restitution as well as taking the full blame. I was 10% at fault and do to not covering my back, I basically have been blamed for 2 of my senior boss's errors.

Could the bank fire me if I don't sign. I am willing to pay financial restitution but do not want to admit fault for someone else's wrongdoing?

Kenneth J. Ashman Ashman Law Offices, LLC

Re: employment probation letters

Signing letters admitting guilt must be undertaken only after serious deliberation. You have not provided nearly enough information to answer the question posed -- for example, do you have an employment contract? Is there an employee handbook?

I doubt that your employer would object if you wanted to consult with an attorney before making the admission.

-- Kenneth J. Ashman; www.AshmanLawOffices.com

This communication is for informational purposes only and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship, which, under the policies of Ashman Law Offices, LLC, can only be created by a execution of a formal retention agreement.

More Business Law questions and answers in Illinois

Business Law Legal Forms