Illinois  |  Construction Law

I have a company that started a job on my boat, then quit 3/4 finished, no answers to calls (6-7) or emails (6) theI had an officer call me and tell me I can't contact him any more, I asked if there was a harassment complaint or any complaints on paper, the answer was no, but after being told not to contact by the officer I could be arrested,I feel this is an officer helping out a buddy, does this sound legal?

Answered on: 10/09/12, 2:37 pm by Stephen Messutta

? Who's on first? What are you trying to accomplish -- to get the company to finish the work, and what do you mean by officer -- a police officer who is a buddy of the company owner? Today people will try pushing back on just about anything if they're in a bad situation, stressed, etc. Plus, without a restraining order the policy officer may be overstepping his bounds but just try to prove it - his word against yours. So you should contact a local attorney who can then contact the company. Attorneys are relatively immune from charges of harrassment when all they are doing is attempting to collect a client's debt, and if a police officer attempts to step in without proper grounds, the attorney is a good buffer to deal with it.

Attorney address not available