Illinois  |  Consumer Law

We went into a car dealership on Saturday and started the paper work, we received financing and went in on Monday and signed the paperwork. (We drove home with the car) During the process we provided the dealership with informaiton regarding our trade in (car not starting/not running, transmission, dents/dings etc) and they gave us a trade in value sigh unseen. They called back on Tuesday after we signed the papers and walked off the lot with the new vehical stating that the trade is not worth what they gave us. Can they do this? They are now trying to contact the bank because they submitted the deal on Monday. Help please I am calling everyday and getting the run around at the dealership. They want us to sign a new agreement with a lower trade in value.

Answered on: 3/22/12, 12:14 pm by Sal Sheikh

The dealer may be stuck with your trade in.

You will want to have an attorney to review the contract.

www.looplawfirm.com 542 S. Dearborn St. - Suite 510 Chicago, IL 60605

Answered on: 3/22/12, 12:21 pm by Alexandra Buzanis

Assuming the deal was completed and was valid, if they continue, report them to the Office of the Attorney General, Consumer Fraud Division, for any attempt to bait and switch your deal. Trust me, car dealers are not beloved creatures especially when they try to change terms after a sale and deal is completed. Also, as the other attorney stated, having an attorney review the contract or sale paperwork including the loan, might be very helpful, especially if you are unsure of any terms or what they are claiming now. Generally, they cannot change the terms of a sale, trade in value and all, espeically after everyone agreed to the deal and the deal was completed. Best of luck to you!

Attorney address not available

Answered on: 3/22/12, 12:36 pm by Thomas Moens

If you have a signed contract, I would say they are stuck with the deal. Maybe you could suggest that you would agree to lower the trade in amount, but you want to lower the purchase price of the new car by the same amount.

Moens Law Offices, Chartered 1523 52nd Avenue Moline, IL 61265