Legal Question in Consumer Law in Illinois

Gas company has been billing me from a meter that has been connected to another apartment's line. I requested that my gas be shut off because of oddly high bills. They said they cannot deactivate the account since the meter was mislabeled and is servicing someone else's apartment. Gas company says the landlord is responsible to fix the problem. What are my legal rights?

Asked on 3/01/12, 5:19 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

There are several laws that govern this, and if you are in an apartment building that the landlord does NOT live in, the Chicago Residential Landlord & Tenant Ordinance as well. Basically this is a landlord issue and you can give the landlord notice to fix the situation and adjust your rent, or you may be able to do so to a point, and/or you can contact the building department. More information would be needed about the building, the amounts involved, etc. to give you a clearer answer.

Read more
Answered on 3/01/12, 9:26 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Consumer Law questions and answers in Illinois

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Consumer Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now