Illinois  |  Consumer Law

Me and about seven other people got scammed from a Phlebotomy school that claimed to be ASAP certified and in the end they were not and when we questioned the owner he told everyone if we did not like the situation we should write a letter requesting a refund and we would receive it within thirty days. None of us have recieved our refund and one student made a deal that she would not go after the school for her refund if they allowed her to use the money for their CNA class. What can we do?

Answered on: 5/10/13, 11:06 am by Alex Arezina

I don't know much about the area of Phlebotomy and what kinds of licenses or certifications are required, but it would be a deceptive trade practice to hold the school out as being certified when it is in fact not. How big is the school? How much did you pay in fees? Are there more than 7 people involved, i.e. are there classes held all the time? How long is the class? How does the school attract students, i.e. print advertising, radio, etc.? Do you think the school is established and well-funded? If you would like to discuss this offline, feel free to email me at alex@arezinalaw.com. I'm happy to take a look at the case.

Alexander I. Arezina, Attorney at Law 728 W. Grand Ave. Chicago, IL 60610