Legal Question in Consumer Law in Illinois

My question is in regards to the sale of a car. I sold the car "as is" to a buyer without any written guarantee or warranty. Weeks after the sale the engine on the car blew out. The buyer is now claiming I am responsible for $5000 worth of damages on a car that was sold for less than $3000. Does the buyer have a right to sue me here? What are my rights and under which laws am I protected?

Thomas Moens Moens Law Offices, Chartered

Anyone can sue anyone else for just about anything. The real question is, will the buyer win? There are not enough facts here to answer that question, but here are some things to consider: Did the bill of sale indicate the sale was as-is with no warranties? Did you make any statements which were untrue (I just had the engine rebuilt, I guarantee this car will last another twenty years)?

More Consumer Law questions and answers in Illinois

Consumer Law Legal Forms