Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Illinois

My husband is from Germany. He has been living in the United States for over 12 years now. We have been married for 10. He has credit card debt from Germany in the amount of nearly $4000. They keep harassing him about it. He does not have a real job, works for my home based company as a freelancer basically and we have a small banking account. The credit card company (now a collection agency) is threatening to garnish his wages and freeze our assets. We live with my mother so we really have nothing and can not afford to pay off his debt. we have enough debt here due to my medical bills. Do we have to be afraid or what if anything can we do?

Jonathan Shimberg SHIMBERG and CROHN, P.C.

You are not responsible for his premarital debt unless you signed something accepting responsibility. the fact that he may not be able to pay it is not a defense to his liability. They may not be able to collect anything bu they may be entitled to a judgment. Make sure there is nothing in his name.

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Illinois

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms