Illinois  |  Credit and Debt Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 10/07/00, 9:24 pm

Length of time a doctor bill can be sent after surgery

My son had malrotation surgery in December 1997. My fiance' at the time, now my husband had very good insurance. Everything was covered but, this bill of over $4,000. We were first notified in the spring of 1999 that we owed this balance, again in the summer of 1999. By this time me husband had changed jobs, which meant we no longer had this insurance. The finding is that the date they put on the insurance activation enrollment for my son's coverage was January 1998. My husband has no proof that that date was not on there when he signed the form. However, every other doctor bill was covered. And the people in which helped us with the insurance enrollment are no longer with the company. Do we ask the insurance company to investigate this? We are afraid we may owe the cost of his surgery which is over $50,000. Can the doctor's office continue to bill us for something which is almost three years ago? Is there a statute of limitations in length in which a doctor can bill you? The doctor herself was having difficulty with her billing agency, so she switched. Is it right for the patients to have to suffer financially for somebody else's mistake? Do we owe this money? Please help us. We do not have that kind of money.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

81 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search